I’ll admit, when I heard about this book, I was thinking, “Why Kathy? Why such small portions?” You have to understand that I am a lover of leftovers so it didn’t make sense to me. Feeling disappointed, I borrowed the book from the library and WOW!!!!! My feelings were way off the mark. This book is perfect, yes, you can double all the recipes if you want leftovers, but you can make more dishes, have more variety with smaller servings. I should’ve trusted my gut feeling that Kathy knows what she’s doing and doesn’t disappoint.
Like with all her books and recipes on her blog Healthy Slow Cooking, Healthy Slow Cooking for two to just you will have you making easy down to earth meals, snacks, sides, drinks and treats that are flavourful and doesn’t call for ingredients you have to turn to the google to research what it is. Don’t worry, if you are a new vegan she does explain things for you.
The book has 10 chapters.
1. The Little Slow Cooker That Can (that’s where you can find info on new to you ingredients).
2. Budget Rescuers: Easy DIY Staples. 16 DIY recipes including Italian seitan coins, a bunch of homemade spices, nut ricotta and more.
3. Morning Delights – Wake up to Breakfast. I’m making scrambled tofu breakfast burrito for tomorrow. There’s also oatmeal, French toast, polenta and tofu roasted vegetable hash to name a few. (Oh and it’s just not plain boring oatmeal or French toast either).
4. Dip Dinners: Appetizers or a Meal. I bet the easier-than-pizza-dip is amazing!! She has a few other dips and a fondue and more.
5. Soul Satisfiers: Soups for all Seasons. Talk about comfort! 13 soups that basically make themselves. You can never go wrong with a minestrone, creamy celery soup, Autumn Harvest Veggie Soup would hit the spot after an afternoon of raking leafs.
6. International Eats: Stews, Curries and Chili. Unstuffed potatoes? Yes please!! Italian soy curls, clean-out-the-fridge curry, this chapter screams healthy comfort!
7. Tasty Fillings: Sandwiches, Tacos and More. Carolina BBQ soy curls, lentil quinoa taco filling, New England tofu rolls- they look like THE game night supper.
8. Family Favourites: One-Pot Pastas, Risotto and Pasta Sauces. Cheesy butternut squash macaroni, caulifredo, 3 different risotto recipes, AND no-more-jarred-pasta sauce!! If you read my pervious post you would know that I used my Slow Cooker only to heat up the jarred stuff many moons ago.
9. Vegan Squares: Full Meals Layered in the Slow Cooker. Tofu braised with Peas and Brussels Sprouts, all-in one Thanksgiving dinner, Italian seitan coins with mashed cauliflower and gravy. Yummy!!
10. Sweet Treats: Drinks, Syrup, Desserts. Chocolate chip cookie for 2, blueberry lemon cake, small batch of basic brownies.
Cooking for 1 or 2 people has never been easier. Just because you live solo or with a roommate or partner, and don’t have a family to feed doesn’t mean you can’t feed yourself well. (Put down those chips.)
All recipes are clearly labelled so you can easily glance to see if the recipe is gluten free, soy free or oil free.
Today, I’m not going to share a recipe with you BUT-I’m sharing a link to the blog tour that happened for her book. (A blog tour is basically a virtual book tour. People write a review, share a recipe and sometimes there’s a giveaway but not always within a month or two of the books release. Its fun!)
You can always purchase a copy for yourself or a friend here or go over to my giveaway page for full details on how you can enter for your chance to win Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You.
What can’t you cook in your slow cooker?