It’s cold here today, not even in the double digits kind of cold. Perfect time to use the oven. I wanted to make some jerky today, so while I’m waiting for it to marinate, I’m making stew. I have always loved Mouth-watering Vegan and her Baked Stew like Momma Used to Make. It’s perfect as is, but I’m in love with Better than Bouillon Beef (it’s made from veggies, don’t worry), so I decided that I was going to take Mouth-watering Vegan’s recipe and put my own twist on it. Oh, and I was more veggies, because I wanted to bulk it up a bit more. If you have time, you should make some bread and add some garlic butter to serve with it. Nothing more perfect than stew and fresh bread on a frigid summer day.
Here’s the recipe adapted from Mouth-watering Vegan. For her recipe, please visit her site, and take a look while you’re there, she has some good recipes.
1 yellow onion
5-6 cloves of garlic (depending on size and your like of garlic, can omit, but I don’t suggest that- EVER!!)
4 carrots sliced diagonally want them kinda thin- but not see thru thin- that’s just wrong
3 celery stalks (cut like you did the carrots
24 ounces/ 680g of mini yellow fleshed potatoes (it’s a small bag- don’t sweat it)
¼ cup hot water- dissolve a tsp of beefless bouillon in it
2 cups hot water – dissolve a tbsp of beefless bouillon in it.
- Add about a tbsp of oil (use water or broth if you don’t use oil). Heat it up in a cast iron pot. (I use Kitchen Aid- it’s nice and heavy and I like the way it cooks up the food).
- You want to sweat the onions this takes a few mins over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic, stir for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the veggies, and the ¼ cup of broth, let cook for about 10 mins.
- Add 1 cup of broth, let cook for about 30 mins, lower the heat about- make sure you stir occasionally. It really doesn’t need to be babysat, but it still needs attention.
- After about 30 mins, add the last cup of broth and put into a preheated 350 degree oven, and let cook for 20 mins. Taste a carrot and a potato to make sure they are fully cooked. If not cooked then cook it for another 15-20 mins. You might find that the carrots and potatoes are perfect after cooking it on the stove for 30 mins.
For some reason, I do not have a pic to share with you 😦 But it was delish.
Let me know what you think of my version of this to die for stew.